Sunday, January 28, 2007

Scallops with Bacon and Creamy Grits

I wanted to impress my husband with a Sunday lunch that I knew he would like, so I decided on scallops. I bought frozen bay scallops at Publix, but next time I will try fresh to see if there is any difference. I was a little reticent about making this because I had never cooked scallops before, but it was very easy. You could make plain grits to go with this instead of these ultra-rich ones if you want to trim a few calories off the meal.

Scallops with Bacon and Creamy Grits

1-1/2 lb bag frozen bay scallops, thawed and drained
6-8 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 cup water
2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
lemon juice
hot sauce (opt)

Fry bacon and onion in a fry pan until onion is tender and bacon is brown. Add flour, water, and Worchestershire, and stir until thickened. Add scallops, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with a few drops of lemon juice. Serve over grits.

Creamy Grits

1 cup heavy cream
1 can chicken broth
1 cup water
4 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup quick (not instant) grits

Bring heavy cream, chicken broth, water, salt, pepper, and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk in grits and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Saute the bacon and onion in a fry pan:

After the bacon is browned, add the flour and stir together. Add remaining ingredients, cover, and cook.
Tender scallops in a tasty sauce with bacon over creamy grits. My husband was impressed.

No comments: