Thursday, January 14, 2010

Oven Roasted Cabbage Wedges


My mom was a wonderful cook and taught me all the basics of cooking and baking while I was growing up. I remember that when my mom cooked cabbage, she would always just boil it with onions until it was fully cooked. Yes, times were simpler then.
Cooking trends have changed now and vegetables are often cooked until crisp/tender, using techniques such as steaming and stir frying. This makes them much more flavorful, colorful. and nutritious. One of the newer trends in cooking vegetables is to roast them. I have roasted potatoes many times before, but I hadn't tried cabbage until I found this recipe. It is in the January 2010 issue of Martha Stewart magazine.

Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamins K and C, and also a very good source of dietary fiber, manganese, vitamin B6 and folate, as well as several other nutrients. And it is so delicious! I discovered that roasting cabbage brings out the flavor and texture of the cabbage in a way that I had never tasted before.

Oven Roasted Cabbage Wedges

1 head of cabbage, cut into 8 wedges, core intact
olive oil
salt and pepper
balsamic vinegar (optional)

Preheat oven to 450°. Brush both sides of cabbage wedges with olive oil and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (I used sea salt). Bake for about 15 minutes, remove and flip the wedges over. Bake for about 10 more minutes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired.

Cut the cabbage into 8 wedges, core intact.

Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place on a greased baking sheet.

After about 15 minutes, flip each wedge over. Return to oven and bake about 10 more minutes.

I served it with rotisserie chicken and mixed wild rice. The cabbage was so good that I could have just eaten it for dinner all by itself. My mom would have loved it, too.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

We often eat (steamed) cabbage, but I never thought to roast it. Thanks for the recipe. Another bonus to cabbage -- it's cheap! ;-)

Vickie said...

You are so right! Low cost is definitely a bonus.

CeeJay said...

woo hoo, made it for dinner last night and all three, count it three out of three kids liked it. Thank you for the new vegi recipe. Is this normal or do I just have odd children?

Vickie said...

Haha! If they are odd, it's in a good way!

Anonymous said...

You should do a post with Ham Sandwich's

-Mama Cass

Nancy said...

I tried this recipe today, and seasoned the wedges with Mrs. Dash, onion salt, and lemon pepper. This is a wonderful way to use cabbage, and it is delicious. Next time, I will reduce the oven temperature to 350 or 400 degrees.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Lizard Rae said...

I tried this recipe last night - it was a huge hit with my family. thanks for sharing it!

Vickie said...

You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for this recipe everywhere! Last year the family I boarded with made these and I never asked for the recipe. I have a batch in the oven right now. :) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Tried the recipe several different ways, I have found that Cavender's Greek Seasoning is the best. mmmmm