Saturday, August 23, 2008

Rice Krispie Rattles

For this project, you will need the ingredients for Rice Krispie Treats (below), plus small wooden dowels and ribbon. I found the dowels at Hobby Lobby and Gil cut them in half for me. You can cut these into whatever length you want.


Rice Krispie Treats

1/4 c. butter
1 pkg. (10 oz., about 40) reg. marshmallows or 4 c. miniature marshmallows
1/2 tsp vanilla
6 c. Rice Krispies cereal
Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
For the basic treats: Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly into buttered 13x9x2 inch pan. Cut into squares when cool.
For the Rattles: Pour mixture into a bowl and allow to cool completely. Shape into large balls for the tops of the rattles and flatten each ball on the front and back. Carefully pierce with dowel. Form around the dowel to make it more secure.
Shape a smaller ball for the bottom of the rattle and attach to the dowel.
Tie with ribbon. Store in an airtight container.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat:

Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Add vanilla.

Stir in Rice Krispies:


Shape into 10 large balls and flatten for the top of each rattle. Shape into 10 small balls for the bottom. Carefully pierce the balls with the dowel and shape the Rice Krispie balls onto the dowels to secure them into place. Tie with ribbon. (You could also decorate the top with icing if so desired. I would have if I'd had more time).

Serve in a single layer.
One recipe makes 10 rattles.

15 comments:

Whitney said...

Love the rattles. When I make Rice Krispie Treats it is always so sticky that they get all over my hands and utensils and not in the shape they are supposed to be. How did you form them without them getting all over everywhere?

Vickie said...

Thank you! I coated the palms of my hands with butter and tried to shape them while they were still hot and that didn't work. What did work for me though, was letting them cool first. Then they were easier to work with. Still a little sticky, though.

Naoko said...

Thanks for sharing this, I will try and make them for my kids. Hhmmm I wonder if I can find that ricecripes out here in Japan. Oh well I will hunt for them. Thanks again.

Nao

Anonymous said...

These are so cute! I'll keep these in mind for future baby showers!

Dianne ;-)

Holly said...

These and your lollipops are so cute! I need someone to have a baby so I can throw a shower! Looking for volunteers!

Vickie said...

Thank you!
I will not be volunteering for that, Holly, but Dianne might. : )

Holly said...

LOL I can't wait to see what Dianne has to say about that! :)

Anonymous said...

Uh...Vickie, I thought we were friends?! No, I will not be volunteering for that either. I am quite satisfied with my two :-)

How about Amby? Then I could start calling Vickie, "Granny" and get her back for her little comment!

Dianne ;-)

Vickie said...

I think they should call me Mrs. Franks.

Anonymous said...

"Granny Franks" has a nice ring to it! j/k

Dianne ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this idea this week for a baby shower. But I'm going to try to use those thick pretzel rods for the handle and gum drops or large marshmallows for the bottom.

Vickie said...

That is a great idea. Using pretzels makes it all edible.

Heather said...

To help form them better you can use this little trick....when melting the marshmallows and butter, add 2 tablespoons of white corn syrup (this makes the treats stay more pliable when forming them)

Hope this helps!!

Vickie said...

Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion!

Heather said...

No problem! I am going to try this next weekend for my sister's baby shower, and I will let you know if it indeed works! I am glad I came across your blog! It is so helpful!