Friday, January 30, 2009

Easy and Fabulous Apple Dumplings

My friend Belinda told me about this recipe, so I scavenged the internet to find it and found innumerable versions of it. The odd and secret ingredient for this is Mountain Dew. This was easy to make and absolutely fabulous. The pastry (crescent roll) was crunchy and the apple inside was very tart (granny smith). It makes its own yummy syrup that is sweet and delicious served on top of the dumpling and the ice cream.


Apple Dumplings

2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and each sliced into 8 wedges (you will have some left over)
2 sticks of butter
1 -1/2 cups of sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz Mountain Dew

Beginning at wide end, roll each apple wedge in a crescent roll. Place in a greased baking dish. Mix together melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Pour over rolls. Pour Mountain Dew around the rolls. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Serve with ice cream.
Yield: 12 dumplings (this is really 6 servings)

Roll apple wedge up in crescent roll:



Place in a greased baking dish:

Combine butter mixture:

Pour over dumplings:
Pour Mountain Dew around them:

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. They will be golden brown and will smell amazing at this point:

Serve with ice cream (my personal favorite is Breyers Natural Vanilla). Spoon syrup on top:

17 comments:

Inspired Kara said...

Yummy!

Gotta love Pioneer Woman!

I made your snickerdoodle muffins twice already. They are SUCH a hit!

Vickie said...

Hi Kara!
Yes Pioneer Woman was one of the many I found. So glad you like the muffins!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Wow, a most unusual recipe indeed. It looks delicious and if I wasn't "the Diva on a Diet" I'd be all over it! LOL

Love The Pioneer Woman too.

teachermomof2 said...

This is one of our favorite dumpling recipes, too. I use Pioneer Woman's recipe when I made them in the fall.

Blessings,
Lisa

Vickie said...

This recipe's crazy popularity on the web reminded me of the four-layer chocolate dessert of the 70's.

They would be perfect to make in the fall, but I would eat them anytime.
: )

Finelly said...

I hope this doesn't sound like too dumb a question, but could these be made in advance? Like, the night before, roll the apples up and then add the rest and bake in the morning?

Vickie said...

That's not a dumb question at all. I love do ahead recipes. I bet you could do that, but I don't know for sure since I haven't tried it. If you do it, let me know how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

This is such a neat recipe and it looks delicious. Yes, the Mt.Dew is quite a surprise ingredient. I can hardly wait to whip some up! Thanks again for another great recipe, Vickie.

Dianne ;-)

Courtney said...

Our Bible Study group calls this dessert "Apple Crack" because we've all become addicted! ;-)

Vickie said...

That is really funny.

Anonymous said...

The photos here have me drooling. Sadly, we can`t buy crescent rolls pre-made here (I live in Guatemala) and I don`t think I`m up to making the dough myself right now. :(

Holly said...

These were delicious and may have ruined our diet!! Thanks so much for posting it! Now off to make those White Chocolate Butterscotch Brownies! :)

Anonymous said...

I made these a day ahead - and I mean I prepared everything in the pan, covered it, stuck it in the fridge overnight, and popped it in the oven the next day - and it turned out exactly the same!

Anonymous said...

What's with the Mnt Dew.? Lost on what extra flavor or effects it's suppose to do......

Vickie said...

I have no idea. I'm personally not a huge fan of Mountain Dew, but these are really delicious. Try the recipe without it if you'd like.

Anonymous said...

Too bad there's no "PRINT" command on this recipe. How come??

Vickie said...

Sorry you can't print recipes from this blog. I don't currently post here anymore. I'm working on a new website. You can try copy/pasting it. I apologize for the inconvenience!