Friday, April 24, 2009

Marshmallow Flowers

This is a simple way to add a touch of spring to cupcakes and it has only two simple ingredients: marshmallows and sparkling sugar. This is an adaptation of a cute idea I found in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.


Bake cupcakes and frost with your favorite vanilla frosting.

With sharp scissors, cut each marshmallow into 5 slices. You will need to rinse the scissors with warm water very frequently, as the marshmallows are quite sticky. This will make up the petals of the flower.

Sprinkle each petal with sparkling colored sugar.

Don't allow them to sit for too long because they are easier to work with if they are still soft. These taste just like Peeps, by the way.

Using the icing on the cupcake as your glue, gently form your flower with 5 petals per cupcake. Overlap one petal on top of the other.



I used a small piece of decorating candy as my center. If these were for a birthday, a candle in the center would be cute as well.

I served mine on a cupcake stand. This one is by Wilton and it holds 13 cupcakes.

13 comments:

The Diva on a Diet said...

Oh how adorable! I love this idea so much. They're gorgeous, Vickie. They make me smile. :)

Susan said...

I LOVE these! They are so very cute and I love marshmallows and sugar! ;)

Tammy said...

These cupcakes are awesome. Can't wait for an occasion to make them!

Matushka Anna said...

Adorable and so easy!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to do these. They are so pretty. Thanks, Vickie!

Dianne ;)

Guy Walker said...

Wow that looks really delicious!

CeeJay said...

Just finished making them with the kids, thanks it was a fun after school project.

Vickie said...

Thanks everybody. So glad you liked them!

teachermomof2 said...

I have the same cupcakes posted on my blog! I made them for my df's birthday and again today for dd's birthday party. They have been well received.

I found the recipe at Betty Crocker.com

Blessings,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

these look like they could be in southern living! Amazing

-Zac

Vickie said...

Thank you Zac.

Elsie said...

Came across this on a Google search. Good job!! This was my FAVOURITE cake decoration when I was a kid (and still is now) I remember my 7th birthday cake was covered in them. You can also add an M&M or similar candy to the centre, for the centre of the flower (and it hides the joins)
Gorgeous cupcakes!!

Vickie said...

Thank you Elsie! I wish I'd known about them when I was little. I would have loved them, too. Great idea about the M&M's.