This is a recipe that one of our nurses shared with all of us. It has a base of saltine crackers which is topped with caramel, chocolate and pecans. It is fabulous and is very easy to make. It is also the perfect treat for an American Idol party. Go Adam.
Saltine Cracker Candy
24 saltine crackers
2 sticks of butter
1 cup brown sugar
12 oz semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup toasted chopped pecans
1. Lay the crackers in a greased 13 x 9 inch pan. (Next time I will line the pan with parchment for easier removal).
2. Heat butter and brown sugar over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
3. Pour over crackers.
4. Bake at 400 for 5-7 minutes, or until bubbly.
5. Immediately pour chocolate morsels onto the crackers and allow the chocolate to melt. Use a spoon to spread it evenly.
6. Press the pecans into the chocolate while it is still warm.
7. Chill until firm. Remove from pan and break into pieces.
Line a greased 13 x 9 inch pan with saltine crackers. (And I reiterate, parchment would be a most excellent strategy.)
Heat butter and brown sugar until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
You do not have to use a candy thermometer! Yea!
Pour over the saltines:
Bake at 400 for 5-7 minutes, or until bubbly:
Pour chocolate morsels over it as soon as it comes out of the oven:
I used the back of a spoon to spread it evenly:
Place pecans on the melted chocolate. Next time I will chop the pecans more finely. I did not put pecans on all of it because I was serving it to some who are not pecan fans.
Chill, then break into bars. It is great the next day, but good luck having any left. At work this is referred to as "crack," because it is made with crackers, but also very addictive.
Watch out for those nurses and their double entendre.