Thursday, August 28, 2008

Basket Baby Carriage

My inspiration for this project was this picture:

No supply list or instructions, just the picture. That was pretty frustrating. I made several changes, one being the basket itself. This was going to be a baby shower decoration and I wanted it to be nice. So why not a nicer basket? Also notice the wheels. Wooden wheels are way cooler than felt ones. I was able to find the wheels and all my other supplies for this project at Hobby Lobby.

In the photo below is my finished basket. Putting it together was pretty dicey there for a while, and I was not sure that the results would be even remotely worthy of a post. So, because of that, I did not take many step-by-step photos. I will definitely do it again sometime, and when I do, I will be more thorough with my instructions.


You will need:

1 basket with handle
1 yd fabric
1/8 yd contrasting fabric
wooden wheels
buttons to cover
1 yd trim
wire
hot glue gun
a scissor
wire cutters
(there is batting in the photo, but I did not end up using it)

Using the wire, we made a frame on one side of the basket. After that, we applied hot glue to the underside of the handle, attached the fabric, and then flipped the fabric it over the wire to make the canopy. Then I tucked under the edges of the fabric around the outside rim of the basket and hot glued it on.
I know, not enough pictures. -sigh-

I covered the buttons with buzzy bee contrasting fabric and glued them onto the wheels. Then I hot glued them onto the basket.


I added trim around the outside of the basket. I used the remainder of the checked fabric to line the inside. I turned the raw edges in and hot glued the lining fabric to the inside rim.

You can then place tiny gifts inside.

11 comments:

Amby said...

Ooh that's cool.

Vickie said...

Thanks, Ams

Anonymous said...

I'm lovin' this idea! It's adorable! Will someone please have a baby so I can use all of these cool ideas?!

Dianne ;-)

Vickie said...

Dianne,
Go to the comments for the Rice Krispie Rattles and see who has been suggested for that. : )

teachermomof2 said...

That is so very cute! Thanks for the great idea and inspiration!

Blessings,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you just said that because Brandon and I have such cute kids and you'd love to meet a third one...but, no thanks, I'll pass.

Dianne :-)

Vickie said...

Yes, you do have two really cute little girls. I was just kidding about the third one. : )

Anonymous said...

I know you were kidding--so was I!

Dianne ;-)

Jane said...

Hi Vickie, This buggy is soo cute!
BTW, I have nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award.. I have you on my site here...
http://crazyhereandnow.blogspot.com/2008/09/so-nice-to-be-recognized.html
Thanks for being so inspiring!
Jane

Anonymous said...

Hey Vickie, Will you give us some good football stuff?

Thanks,
Leah

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

Finelly said...

I finally know a preggo for whom I can make this; I'm so excited! Thanks for the idea!.