Friday, January 19, 2007

Grilled Coconut Cakes

I wanted to try out a Thai dessert, and I love coconut, so I decided on these coconut cakes. I got the recipe from www.templeofthai.com. The ingredients are pretty basic. Well, except for the rice flour and the glutinous rice flour. Apparently the glutinous rice flour is sticky - it is actually milled from sticky rice. It is combined with plain rice flour in many sweet Thai dishes. The amount of water in the recipe I am posting has been decreased from what the original recipe suggested because I thought mine were a little runny. I think I could have controlled their size and shape more easily had the batter been thicker.

Grilled Coconut Cakes

1/2 cup rice flour
1 cup glutinous rice flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
2 cups coconut (I prefer frozen coconut)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Mix flours, sugar, and salt. Add coconut, egg, and vanilla. Slowly add water until the mixture reaches a thick enough consistency to hold up on a griddle.
Spray cooking spray on griddle. Drop the coconut mixture by spoonfuls onto the hot griddle. Cook until the edges start to lift from the pan. Flip and cook on the other side. Serve warm.

They actually were alot like pancakes:


This is how they turned out. They were deliciously different and are definitely best served warm.

No comments: