Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Asian Market

I really enjoy Thai food. Gil has been to Thailand several times and loved the food there. The closest I've come to it is Surin of Thailand, a restaurant in Crestline Village (which I highly recommend, by the way). Because of that, I have been wanting to try cooking Thai food with authentic ingredients for a while now. So, the other day, I made a list, and Gil and I went to the Asian Market. We went to Chai's on 7th Avenue South. It was a very cool place. It reminded me of China Town in San Francisco and it reminded Gil of the stores he visited in Thailand. I was unsure of where to find some of the ingredients, but the storekeeper was very kind and helpful, and smiled at some of my pronunciations. This is what I bought:
Rice flour, glutinous rice flour, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, galangal, coconut milk, jasmine rice, straw mushrooms, fish sauce, and tamarind paste. The ingredients were surprisingly inexpensive and many of them have a long shelf life or can be kept in the freezer. My next post will be the Coconut Shrimp Soup I made that night.

No comments: