Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

This is a recipe that I got from one of my great aunts many years ago. You can keep it warm in a crock pot or a saucepan. The basic meatball recipe could be used for a variety of other dishes, such as spaghetti.

Meatballs
1 lb ground chuck
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp finely chopped onion (opt)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 egg
Combine ingredients, using your hands. Shape into desired size balls. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Drain on paper towels before adding to sauce. Yield: 4 servings

Sauce
1 jar grape jelly
1 jar chili sauce
Combine and heat in a saucepan or in a crockpot. When jelly is dissolved and sauce is well-blended, add meatballs.

I made the meatballs on the right. My cousin Dana made the ones on the left. Hers look better. And they are lined up perfectly.

I nearly tripled the ingredients and it made 70 meatballs. They have a very tangy, interesting flavor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got on your blog from Christinas- LOVE IT!!! I cannot wait to make these meatballs for the kids, and tomorrow we are starting on the Peanut Butter Reindeer cookies! Awesome blog.

Vickie said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Not surprised that Dana's were in perfect, neat rows. :o) Thanks for the recipe.