Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Greenery for Your Mailbox

I love to decorate my mailbox with fresh greenery for Christmas and I like for it to be a little over-the-top-looking. I have NO floral arranging skills, so if I can do it, anybody can. I use oasis that is in a floracage holder. I soak it in water first, then wire it to my mailbox. I start with the large greenery, in this case, magnolia leaves, then fill in with the smaller ones.
I like to add stems that have red berries on them, so I chose several that would stick out in front of the magnolia leaves. I filled in with a wispy pine to help cover the wires.The last thing I added was nandina because I love the red leaves.

Believe it or not, I used 3 garbage bags full of greenery. Sometimes I add a bow, but it doesn't usually need it. What I like best about this is you can be totally creative with no actual rules. Have fun with it!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gouda Girl checking in... WoW! What a beautiful mailbox decoration. I have attempted most of your ideas you've shared here (and might I say they have been great fun), but I truly believe this is way out of my league. I'm afraid it would turn out looking more like the limbs and branches I cull after working in the yard and put curbside for the garbage pickup. Or it could in fact possibly scare my frail postman to death!

Vickie said...

Gouda Girl,
I certainly wouldn't want you to be responsible for someone's death, particularly that of a public servant. I promise that it is easy to do! Start on a smaller scale if you want to, like a table centerpiece.
As usual, thank you for making me laugh.