Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Reindeer Sandwiches

My friend Tammy requested that I post Reindeer Sandwiches and several friends have asked me to post fun things to make with their children. I found several different ways to make reindeer sandwiches, but I played around with it until I came up with what I liked the best. It's very easy!

You will need:
loaf bread
your choice of spread for filling
pretzels
gumdrops
M & M minis

First, I started out with two pieces of bread. I used whole wheat, but you can use pumpernickel if you want a darker reindeer. I cut the bread into triangles like this:

Then I spread my desired filling onto the bread. I used a dark chocolate peanut butter spread and marshmallow creme, but you can do peanut butter and jelly, or whatever you want.
Then put the two halves together and put pretzels in the upper corners for his antlers. You could use large pretzels, but I just used two small ones on each side because that was what I had on hand. I found red and green gumdrops (Smith's -Mt Brook) and cut them in half for the eyes and nose, like so:
I placed the gumrops for the eyes, cut side up, because it's sticky, and I placed an M&M mini on top of each eye. This adds a little personality because you can make his eyes look in any direction. I placed his nose sugar side up.This is how they turned out:
The gumdrops fall off, of course, when the sandwich is picked up, but it makes a cute presentation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um I think these look like they would taste like a take 5 (candy bar) sandwich I shoudl try to get my mom to make me some. I wish she was as cool as you but she is just a nurse and drives a jeep. Please help her with her CRAZY hair also

Vickie said...

I actually had someone tell me that they do taste like a Take 5 candy bar. I am a nurse and I drive a Jeep, like your mom, so she sounds pretty cool to me. I'm not sure what to do about her hair, though. Maybe an extreme makeover or something.