Friday, December 15, 2006

Chicken Casserole

I recently had this wonderful chicken casserole at a birthday party for my sister-in-law, Karen. I asked for the recipe and was thrilled to get it. It has a unique flavor because it has several different crunchy ingredients in it. I tweaked it a little by reducing the mayo and substituting some of it with sour cream. I wanted it to look festive, so, after baking it, I garnished it with a wreath made of fresh parsley and a bow I cut out of a red bell pepper. I hope you enjoy it!

Chicken Casserole
2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp butter
1-1/2 cups cooked rice
1 can water chestnuts
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
salt and pepper to taste

Topping
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
slivered almonds

Saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Combine all casserole ingredients and place in a greased 2-1/2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with topping and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds yummy! I love crunchy ingredients, and the idea of reducing the mayo. I'm going to try this one.