Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Candles and Cranberries

I got this idea several years ago from my cousin, Connie. It is very inexpensive and it is quite beautiful for a table setting or for a gift. All you need is fresh greenery, fresh cranberries, a wide-mouthed glass container, and a votive candle.
First, fill your container about halfway full with greenery. I use what's in my yard, but you can also use clippings from your Christmas tree. Then pour water over that, almost to the top.

Pour cranberries on top of that. Place the votive candle in the middle of the cranberries. I got these votives 6/$1 at Michael's and they actually have a pretty decent cinnamon smell. It doesn't have to be a floating candle. This is what it should look like:
The container HAS to have a wide mouth or else the votive and cranberries will be too crowded. You can use a Ball style jar and put cute fabric on the lid, screw the top on tightly, tie a bow around it, and give it as a gift, either by itself or with a gift basket. Two of the jars in this picture are Ball jars.

This project is a very quick and easy way to add a nice, natural touch to your Christmas table.

4 comments:

Finelly said...

Love them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vickie! As you know you helped me with about forty of these. They were beautiful. I did a large one in a large crystal bowl as a centerpiece for my mom. I placed some in crystal vases also. It is great. Votives are a little more expensive so we did tea candles. I also used tea candles in the large bowl.

Vickie said...

Yes, we became experts at it, didn't we? The centerpeice sounds beautiful. I'm sure your mom loved it. The tea candles are a great idea and definitely less expensive.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was wondering how long this will last without spoiling? Martin's parents are coming to town and I was going to try this, but I still want it around by Christmas. Will it last?