Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Pear Muffins

The pear is a delicious, healthy fruit. It is high in fiber and potassium, and also contains vitamin C and phytochemicals. I would personally rather eat a muffin for breakfast than cold cereal, slimy oatmeal, or eggs and greasy bacon. And I would rather eat a saltine cracker than a store-bought muffin. Muffins are just too easy to make to ever feel the need to buy them. Then you can totally control what goes into them. But that's just me. These muffins are made up of several nutritious ingredients, but are not necessarily low in calories, so maybe just eat one at a time. I'm all about portion control and moderation. I never deprive myself, I just don't over-indulge.

These are really good. I hope you like them!
Pear Muffins
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Kretschmer Honey Crunch Wheat Germ
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
2 ripe, medium-sized pears. chopped
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients. then add remaining ingredients and stir until blended. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease with cooking spray. Spoon muffin batter into cups. Bake for about 20 minutes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to try this recipe. I've been on the South Beach Diet for a month, and I'm trying to get sugar & white flour out of my diet. I'm going to try it with Splenda.
They look delicious!

Vickie said...

That's a great idea. Let me know how they turn out.

Anonymous said...

I don't do recipes, but I just wanted to make a comment. You have to be an accomplished photographer along with all your many other talents. The illustrations are excellent and it really makes for an exceptional presentation. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.
Wayne

Anonymous said...

I do recipes occasionally, but not often. :o) This one does sound delicious, and I think I'll try Maxine's idea with the Splenda.
I agree with Wayne's comments about the pictures. Awesome!

Vickie said...

Thank you Uncle Wayne and Aunt Betty. I have always really enjoyed photography, and I got an amazing new camera for Christmas. It has helped alot. I prefer cookbooks with illustrations, so I figured this setting needed that, too. Thank you so much for noticing and commenting. I am looking for forward to seeing you, too!

Anonymous said...

Gil gave me one at work. Delicious.
Thanks.

Vickie said...

You're welcome. I'm so glad you liked it!