Monday, February 05, 2007

Cabbage Soup

Cabbage is very low in calories and is high in vitamins A, B-12, C, folate, calcium, magnesium, and iron. I use V8 Juice for the base of this soup, which is low in calories and provides a host of vitamins and minerals. It is also really quick to put together. The cabbage will hold more of its nutritional value if it is not cooked for too long.

Cabbage Soup

1 lb ground round
1 small cabbage, finely chopped
1 48-oz bottle V8 Juice
1 can chicken broth
1 can tomato puree
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp ground tyme
3 bay leaves
salt & pepper to taste

Brown ground round in a pan and drain onto paper towels. In a large saucepan or stock pot, combine remaining ingredients and add the ground round. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a full simmer for about 10 minutes, or just until cabbage is tender.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is another one I'm going to try. It sounds delicious & easy to make!
Thank you, Vickie!

Vickie said...

I hope you like it!

Anonymous said...

Hey! This one sounds easy enough for a noncook like me to make. I think I'll try it. :o)

Vickie said...

You are not a "noncook". I don't know why you say that.