Sunday, December 13, 2009

Painted Christmas Ornaments

As I shared in my last post, I really enjoy painting Christmas ornaments. I did two this year and I am posting them to show how fun and easy they are to do. They are also very inexpensive.

I got this little resin Santa at Hobby Lobby, where family traditions are started. He was 50% off and I paid $2 for him. Such a nice blank canvas waiting to be splashed with creativity.

I used regular acrylic paint, and it took a couple of coats of the red and maybe about three coats of the white. I used a very tiny brush on the parts where the two colors met. A coat of Mod Podge is an option after the pain dries if you want it to be shiny. I opted for a matte finish this time.

Here he is with his black boots, gold buttons...

...and green mittens.


He looks very much at home among the regulars.

This is a simple wooden ornament of which there are an abundance at both Michaels and Hobby Lobby. It was less than $1.
First I painted it in acrylics.
Then oversanded it a little.
I diluted some brown acrylic paint with water and brushed on some, then wiped it off to give it an aged look. Then I hung it on my tree.

Painting ornaments can be fun for every member of the family. They are also very cute to tie onto a gift for someone special.

2 comments:

The Diva on a Diet said...

There both gorgeous, Vickie! Where do you find the time?! I really need to start my Christmas prep earlier so I can make the time for such fun crafts. :)

Vickie said...

Thank you. I actually painted them a couple of weeks ago. It does help to start a little early. I never seem to start early enough.