Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bundle Up Your Candles!

Last year, after Christmas, my son Zac brought me a surprise from the retail store where he worked. It was several yards of a continuous and colorful scarf which had been used as a prop and discarded. I tucked it away for a year and pondered what to use it for. When I pulled it out this year, I first decided to cut off a nice length and make myself a cute scarf, which I did. I simply turned in the raw edges and hand-stitched them.

Then I thought I could use some of it to cover candle holders. (I realize that 6 yards of continuous colorful scarf might not be available just anywhere, but any tube scarf can be used for this project. Old Navy, among other places, has them).

This is what I used:

2 cylinder vases (Walmart $1.99 each)
2 pillar candles (Garden Ridge)
miscellaneous buttons
Alene's Tacky glue
a sharp scissor
tube scarf
Cut your scarf the length of your vase, plus about 5 inches extra on the top and bottom. Then thread it on like this:

This raw edge can be rolled down to the top of the vase:

Then they will look like this:

I glued buttons onto the fabric. I don't recommend hot glue for this. These were a door prize at the Christmas class I did last weekend:

I did a set for myself as well. I used a white quilted twin bedspread for my tablecloth because I thought it looked cozy and wintry. Then I added some fresh greenery from my yard:

Very simple. Very different. Since they have more of a winter than a Christmas look to them, I plan to leave them out through January.

9 comments:

The Diva on a Diet said...

Vickie, these are absolutely adorable! Love them! And I would def. leave them up too, so pretty and wintery. You really are a wonder. :)

Vickie said...

Thank you Diva!

Amby said...

Weird, I happen to have 6 feet of continuous scarf too!

Anonymous said...

How cute your candle covers are.....You are so crafty. Good Job!!!

Anonymous said...

Vickie, This is the door prize that Eva-Claire won. She is really enjoying them. Cute, cute, cute! Thanks again!

Vickie said...

Hi Ambuh,
Now you know what you can do with your continuous scarf. Actually, you are a continuous scarf.


Hi Terry! Thank you!


Hi Susan,
I'm glad Eva-Claire won them. I was so glad you both came.

Finelly said...

Vicki, you never cease to amaze me with your creativity! Very cute!

Vickie said...

Thank you, Finelly. I hope you have a great Christmas.

Anonymous said...

did you keep those candle holders warm?
Are those real reindeer?

-Santa