Sunday, November 25, 2007

Chewy Chocolate Cookies with Marshmallow Filling

This is a recipe I clipped from a magazine back when fat-free diets were the new, cutting edge way to lose weight (circa 1991). I kept the recipe, not because of the fact that these cookies are fat-free, but because they are absolutely chewy delicious. A basic baking mix is prepared first, and is the base for the cookies. They can be eaten plain, or filled with marshmallow creme, which is, in my opinion, the best way to eat them.

Basic Baking Mix

3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/4 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp salt

Sift all ingredients together. Store in tightly covered container at cool room temperature. Stir before using.

Chocolate Cookies

2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/2 cups basic baking mix
1/4 cup sugar
marshmallow creme

Preheat oven to 350. Stir together the egg whites, corn syrup, water, and vanilla. Add baking mix and stir or beat until well-blended. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. (This part is really sticky and messy). Spread sugar into a shallow bowl. Roll balls in sugar to coat. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Sandwich 2 cookies together with marshmallow creme. (The cookies tend to slide apart after they are sandwiched together. Wrap individual cookie-wiches with plastic wrap to help prevent this. Otherwise, just add the marshmallow creme right before serving).

The yield is about 18 cookies. I usually double the recipe, which ends up making about 18 cookie-wiches.

Sift the ingredients for the basic baking mix:

Stir together the egg whites, corn syrup, water, and vanilla:

After blending, roll into balls and then roll each ball in sugar.

Bake at 350 and cool on wire rack after baking:

Spread with marshmallow creme:

Wrap with plastic wrap and tuck into someone's lunch box, or stash one away for yourself. They are, after all, fat-free.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Oh wow, this is something I KNOW my hubby will love. I don't eat a lot of sweets but he has always been fond of a sandwich type cookie I used to make similar to this one. I lost the recipe and this sounds familiar and I thank you... this may be it!! Wonderful blog... great recipes!!
The Rocky Mountain Retreat

GF said...

They are also very good with some creamy peanut butter instead of the cream, of course a little peanut butter makes just about anything better.

Anonymous said...

These sound GREAT not because they are fat free but because I LOVE chocolate and marshmallows!!!!!

Vickie said...

Michele: Thank you! I hope it is the right recipe. Thanks for visiting!

Gil: I meant to include your haute cuisine touch to my cookies. I'm sure that all peanut butter lovers will appreciate it.

Tammy: You will really like them. : )