Friday, November 23, 2007

Pasta Pomodoro

This is a wonderful recipe that my friend Mimi and her daughter, Ginny gave me. Ginny prepared it for us when we were all at the beach together last summer, so it brings back happy memories for me whenever I make it. It has a very fresh, authentic Italian flavor. The original recipe calls for tomato juice, but I changed it to tomato sauce, just to thicken it a little. I also added red wine. I served it with a salad and Three Cheese muffins. (I didn't make only three muffins. I used three kinds of cheese). I will include the muffin recipe as well.

Pasta Pomodoro


3/4 lb angel hair pasta (I like whole wheat)
3 - 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 can tomato sauce
1/4 - 1/2 cup red wine
salt and pepper to taste
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Cook the pasta in boiling water until tender. Meanwhile, heat the oil with the garlic in a skillet. Add the tomatoes and basil and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and wine and continue to cook. Drain pasta. Pour sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Three Cheese Muffins

2 1/2 cups Bisquick
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
poppy seeds

Combine ingredients. Spoon into a greased muffin tin and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Yield:12 muffins

The cheese muffins were really tasty with the pasta:

As you can see, the sauce is still not really thick. The fresh tomatoes and basil give it an amazing flavor.
Top with fresh grated Parmesan:

No comments: