Sunday, September 28, 2008

Spicy Shredded Pork

This is a really great recipe that I found on the Pioneer Woman's blog. The meat is very tender and tasty. I did not have the recipe with me when I bought the ingredients, and I bought a Boston Butt instead of a pork shoulder, but it was still wonderful. The recipe suggests rolling the shredded pork in tortillas, which is what I did, but you could serve it as is.

Spicy Shredded Pork

4 - 7 lb pork shoulder
1 onion
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 -2 tbsp salt
pepper
1 -2 tbsp olive oil
2 -3 tbsp white wine vinegar ( I used apple cider vinegar)
flour tortillas
optional accompaniments: sour cream, grated cheese, salsa, guacamole


Rinse the pork shoulder and pat dry. Place pork in a roasting pan. Combine all marinade ingredients in a processor and blend until smooth. Pour over pork shoulder and rub it in thoroughly. Add about a cup of water. Cover tightly with foil and roast pork at 300 for several hours. I think mine took 3 - 4 hours.

Shred with two forks. Pour the juices over the meat. Serve with warm tortillas, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, or whatever you like.

Combine marinade ingredients:

Pour over meat:

Rub the marinade into the pork until it is well coated:

Add 1 cup water:

Cover with foil and bake at 300 for several hours:

It will be very tender...

...and moist... and tasty:

Place on flour tortillas with desired accompaniments:

Fold in the ends, then roll them up.

I served it with fresh corn on the cob:

No comments: