Monday, April 28, 2008

Tuna Noodle Casserole

While I am waxing nostalgic, I decided to post another favorite dish that my mom used to make. She would make this every once in a while when she did not have enough time to prepare a big meal. It is like comfort food to me. I know that this will probably not be everyone's favorite, and it is certainly not a fancy gourmet dish, but if you like tuna casserole, you will love this. I used my favorite basic ingredients to replicate a recipe similar to what she used to make.
I used radiatore pasta, but fusilli (spiral shaped) pasta is also good for this.


Tuna Noodle Casserole

8 oz pasta, cooked and drained
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 - 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 cans tuna, drained
potato chips

Combine ingredients and top with crushed potato chips. Pour into a greased 13 x 9" baking dish. Bake at 350 for 3o minutes.


Cook pasta according to package directions and drain:

Combine ingredients and place in a greased baking dish:

To add insult to injury, top with crushed potato chips:

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. The potato chips should be a nice golden brown:

This is so yummy. It is also quick, easy, and inexpensive to make. I hope you like it.

6 comments:

Home Cooking Kitchen said...

I substitute chicken for the tuna and put bread crumbs on mine. http://homecookingkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/08/chicken-noodle-casserole.html What do you think?

Next time, I think I might try potato chips. And the pasta you chose would be a nice texture to try as well :)

Mary said...

My mom used to make tuna casserole for us when we were kids. I had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Vickie said...

You are welcome, Mary. Sometimes it's really comforting to remember and prepare dishes that our moms used to make for us.

Leah said...

I fixed this for myself & the kids today for lunch. They loved it. It was so good & easy. I was out of chips so I used saltine crackers & melted some butter & poured over the top. Yummy! Butter always makes it better! Thank you.

Vickie said...

Hi Leah!
I'm glad you and your kids liked it. I like crackers and butter for a topping, too. Butter does make everything better!

Anonymous said...

I haven't made tuna casserole since the first years of my marriage. I made this for dinner tonight and it was really good. It's funny how certain tastes bring back memories. Thanks for the recipe- yours is better than the one I used to make.

Dianne :-)