Thursday, March 06, 2008

Sausage and Cabbage in a Bamboo Steamer

Tonight I decided to experiment with my new bamboo steamer. There were not a lot of helpful instructions online and none that came with it, so I improvised. I had pizza in the freezer just in case a disaster ensued.

I steamed cabbage in the top half of my steamer and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and Cavender's Greek Seasoning:

I cut the sausage in small chunks and placed it in the bottom half:

I placed the whole steamer in my large skillet. A wok could also be used. I used about 1-1/2 cups of light beer and 1 cup of water as my steaming liquid, which I poured directly into my skillet. I turned it up on high, and once it started cooking I turned it down to low. I steamed it for about 15 minutes. The cabbage cooked down, so the top did not stay ajar like it is in the picture:

The cabbage turned out tasty and tender:

And the sausage perfectly done:

I made cheese muffins to go with it:

It turned out to be quite delicious. I will definitely use my bamboo steamer again.

1 comment:

Amby said...

We got some bamboo steamers like that as wedding gifts. I've gotten them out a few times and looked at them then put them back. I'm going to have to try this.