Saturday, July 28, 2007

Snow Cone Fun

I will never outgrow my love for snow cones. I remember my dad bringing a snow cone machine home one day. I was about 8 years old. It was shaped like Snoopy from the Peanuts comic strip. It had a hand crank and it took what seemed like forever to make just one snow cone. Even though it was alot of trouble, it was still fun and is a nice memory for me. But, thanks to modern technology, it can now be done in a matter of seconds and with very little elbow grease.

I found this Rival Snow Cone Maker at Walmart for around $20. Then, on the next aisle, I found these amazing asymmetrical bowls, with matching spoons, at $5 for a set of four. They were so cute that I bought three sets. They will be useful for more than just snow cones. Never underestimate the potential funky factor of the products that the Walmart can offer you.


You simply fill the top of the machine with ice cubes:
Then twist the top on, and within seconds the blue receptacle will be full of finely crushed ice:
Walmart also has the syrups. I bought fruit punch and cherry, both of which are yummy. I made a pina colada syrup with 1 part Bacardi mixer with one part water. One thing I discovered, though, is that the Bacardi mixer has tiny bits if pineapple in it and that made it tricky to use the squirt bottle.

Then, very quickly pour the syrup over the ice. I still have not mastered how much to use. Offer more syrup to your snow cone patrons if needed. Today I had my Aunt Peggy, cousin Connie, and Connie's grandson, Aiden over to swim. Connie and I had pina colada and Aunt Peggy and Aiden had fruit punch.

These are best served on an inflatable alligator.





No comments: