Thursday, July 05, 2007

Cinnamon Rolls

Most everyone loves cinnamon rolls. They have an aroma that can distract you from even the most serious of mall shopping trips. When I was growing up, the only cinnamon rolls I ever had were the grocery store kind. I had two problems with those. One, there was never enough of the yummy white icing, and, two, they were always bedecked with raisins. I have no grudge with raisins, but I don't like them in cinnamon rolls. As a child, unfortunately, I had no control over those negative factors. But as a grown-up, armed with a bread machine, I most definitely do.

I use the basic roll dough recipe that is included in my spinach calzone post.

Cinnamon Rolls

1 recipe of Basic Roll Dough
dark brown sugar
1 stick butter
ground cinnamon
chopped pecans
1 box confectioners sugar

Prepare dough according to roll dough recipe. Remove from bread machine and divide in half. Roll out into a rectangle onto a floured surface with a floured rolling pin:



Sprinkle generously with brown sugar, then cinnamon, then add pecans and pats of butter. I do not measure these amounts. The recipe is quite forgiving. As you can see, I also do not roll out a perfectly- shaped rectangle.


Starting with the long side next to you, roll the ingredients up into the dough:

Then slice evenly. I use a serrated knife:


Repeat with the other half, and place the slices in a greased baking dish. This is one whole recipe of bread dough. (These can also be placed in individual cupcake cups for ease of eating and attractiveness).

Cover and allow to rise for at least an hour in a warm, draft-free place. After they have risen, bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, pour the box of confectioners sugar into a bowl and gradually add a small amount of water. Whisk together:


It should be about this consistency:

Smother (yes, I said smother) the hot cinnamon rolls with the yummy white icing:

Now go and barricade the door.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would do bodily harm to late night talk show hosts for cinnamon rolls like that!

Anonymous said...

seriously... I'm drooling. -Tisha