Monday, March 19, 2007

Uncommon Brownies

This is an easy way to make brownies seem more special. I included these with box lunches I prepared to be served at a meeting my husband had.

I started out with a box of brownie mix. There are several that are good, but I think the Ghirardelli is exceptional. I made it according to the package instructions, with the addition of 3/4 cup chopped pecans and 1 cup Heath brickle chips. The brickle chips melt and are no longer crunchy, but they add a nice flavor and dimension to the brownies. (They give them a "Hmmm...what IS that?" flavor).

I lined an 11 x 9 inch baking dish with foil and sprayed the foil with cooking spray. Then I poured the prepared brownie mix on top of the foil. This is a good thing to do any time you make brownies. You can pull them out after they cool and cut them however you want to, and it makes a cleaner, neater cut. It also completely eliminates the mess. I baked these at 350 for 30 minutes.

After they cooled, I removed the foil from the baking dish and cut rounds out with a biscuit cutter:

Then I sifted a small amount of confectioners sugar onto the tops:


I pulled off enough plastic wrap to form a large square and laid it on the counter:
Then I pulled up the corners and twisted it slightly. I tied it with raffia. You could also use ribbon or some funky twine.
I was busy doing about a dozen other things while I was making these, so I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. You can see them pretty well in my next post, which is about the box lunches.

I hope you try these!

No comments: