Monday, March 19, 2007

Uncommon Box Lunches

My husband was going to host a meeting that would include lunch, so he asked me to make box lunches for it. I like to use a "gable" type box for this, and my favorite place to get them is Paper Works. For those of you who live in Birmingham, the address is: 3700 1st Avenue North. They have a great selection of party goods, wrapping paper, ribbon, etc. They had so many boxes to choose from that it took me about 15 minutes to decide what I liked best. I bought two colors of raffia to match, which they sell by the yard and by the bolt. When the outside packaging is unique, it builds the anticipation and expectation for whatever the inside holds in store. And that just makes it fun.

I decided on homemade chicken salad sandwiches, which can be prepared the day before. Sometimes I make homemade bread for these, but this time I chose a kaiser roll from the bakery at Publix. I bought large bags of chips and divided them up into ziplock bags. I also bought grapes and bagged them up. The directions for the brownies I included are in my previous post.

After I filled the boxes, I tied them with the matching raffia. I usually personalize each one with the individual's name, but this time, I didn't know everyone's names. Sorry, Randy.

The pretty fruit on them is what inspired me to include the grapes.
So, if you are having a meeting, a picnic, or just want to do a special meal for someone, try packing a lunch!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these boxed lunches! Such a nice presentation. Great idea!

Vickie said...

Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

PaperWorks is truly a cool place. Sandy has been a friend for a long time. They are a division of City Paper Co which has been in business in Birmingham for over 100 years.

Vickie said...

Next time you see them, please tell them that I have enjoyed their store for many years. They carry great products and they are very friendly and helpful whenever I go in there.

Anonymous said...

Love it. I might have to "borrow" that idea.