Friday, October 20, 2006

Recipes for Kids



I love kid's cookbooks. The Boys and Girls Cookbook (above) was my very first one and it was given to me by a neighbor when I was 10 years old. I made alot of the recipes in it and the appetizer I am featuring, Bunny Salad, is one that I made as a child, and then I made it for my own children. You can often get kids to eat something they might not normally eat if it's something that looks cute or funny. I continued to collect kid's cookbooks while my children were growing up and they made many of the recipes in them. One time, for our anniversary, Amby and Zac made us an entire dinner from one of these cookbooks as a surprise. They served it to us in their playroom, played beautiful music, and they set their pint-sized table up on blocks so we would be comfortable. It is one of my sweetest memories from when they were growing up. Amby is now a great cook. When people meet her, they, of course, see how beautiful she is, and Nathan adds,"and she cooks, too". I encourage you to involve your children in your cooking adventures, including your boys. Men make great chefs.
These recipes are really fun for children's parties, too.


Bunny Salad

Canned Pears
Cottage Cheese
Sliced Almonds
Whole Cloves
Lettuce
Carrots
Place lettuce on plate. Arrange pears as desired. (It is helpful for serving to place each bunny on his own leaf of lettuce). Use cloves for the eyes and nose and almonds for the ears. Carefully form the tails with cottage cheese. Arrange carrots in the middle. ( If you are using baby carrots, they look brighter and fresher if you peel off the outside layer with a vegetable peeler).

Zany Hamburger Men


Hamburger meat made into patties
Sliced cheese
Pimiento
Olives, black & green
Mushrooms
Alfalfa sprouts
Cut cheese into rounds using a biscuit cutter. Cut into 2 sizes and layer 2 colors, if desired. Grill burgers and add cheese at the last to melt. Decorate with kooky faces.

Lion Cookies
Peanut Butter Slice & Bake Cookies
M&M Minis
Chow Mein Noodles
Decorating Icing in brown or black
Shape cookie dough into rounds. Place chow mein noodles around top for mane and use for whiskers. Place M&M's for eyes and nose. Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes. Cool. Draw mouth with icing.

2 comments:

Amby said...

Actually, if I remember correctly the music was Oldies 106.9 I kept trying to request "Til There Was You". So wasn't a nerd....

Vickie said...

All I said was that it was beautiful music. You have never been a nerd, chick.