Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Taco Salad in Shell Bowls

Taco Salad is an easy dinner idea to fall back on when you are busy. I decided to make one for last night, and while I was shopping for ingredients, I noticed these Azteca Salad Shells. I have seen them for years but have never used them. They are in the cold section.

(Please forgive the graffiti. The damage was done before I had a chance to take a picture).

The shell kit comes with tortillas and cardboard formers. The instructions say that the formers are ovenable, which, yes, is a word. I looked it up. I guess it is a more correct way to describe something that can withstand oven temperatures. Global warming became climate change. Ovenproof became ovenable. Whatever.

Here are the formers and the shells:

After you have assembled the formers, place them upside down on an ovenable cookie sheet:

Place the tortillas over the formers and bake at 350° for about 10 minutes. Watch them so they don't burn!

Flip them over and fill with your favorite taco salad components.

They will turn an ordinary taco salad into a special treat!

2 comments:

Holly said...

I bake tortillas over the top of a coffee can to "form" the bowls and it works well. One can also use a soap can and a smaller shell size to intrige kids to eat salads!~Holly

Anonymous said...

This is is like a CLASSY taco bell. Do you like taco bells? I do *sigh*(read as a mexican sigh)

-Mart