Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Chicken Pie Turnovers

I was going to make chicken pot pie tonight and I decided to change it up a little and give it an autumn theme. I made individual pastries topped with tiny autumnal decorations. The pastry I used was Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crust. I have a set of pirgoi/calzone makers which I like to use for turnovers because it makes them all so uniform in size and shape, but you could easily do these by hand as well. Just be sure to brush the edges with egg before sealing and use a fork to ensure a good seal.

This is what you will need:

3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup small English peas (opt)
1/4 cup sliced, cooked carrots (opt)
salt and pepper to taste
1 box (2 crusts) Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crust

Combine filling ingredients and set aside.

On a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out pie crust:

Cut crust into 4 sections:

Roll section into a ball, then roll out into a circle:

If you have a calzone maker, lay the crust on top of it:

Place the filling on top of the crust:

Close and tightly seal:

Trim edges and brush with beaten egg. Cut leaves and acorns out of leftover pastry and place on each turnover. Brush again with egg. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.


Mmmm...comfort food.

5 comments:

Amby said...

I like that you give your pot pies themes. I'd like to see more.

starflake said...

Ooh those look tasty. They're like empanadas/empanaditas/empanadillas (depends on origin...).

The Diva on a Diet said...

Gosh those look yummy, and pretty too, Vickie. I'll bet they were delish!

Vickie said...

Amby,
You are a pot pie theme.

Starflake,
Thank you. I am honored to be in your kindred spirit ring.

starflake said...

I'm glad. *waves hello* I love your blog. You're very talented and it's so festive, visually appealing, and happy; it makes me smile. Keep up the great fun!