Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Chocolate Cake

This is a recipe that I found on the Pioneer Woman's website. I altered it a little to simplify it. It still involves a few steps, but is well worth the effort. I made it for a party we had at work and it was such a big hit that I am going to make it for another party we are having next week.

Chocolate Cake
Combine in a mixing bowl:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a saucepan, melt:
2 sticks butter
Add 5 heaping tablespoons cocoa. Stir together.
Add 1 cup boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly.

In measuring cup, pour 1/2 cup buttermilk.
Add:
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

While cake is baking, make the icing:
Melt 1 and 3/4 sticks butter in the microwave.
Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa and stir to combine.
Add:
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 lb minus 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
Stir together and pour over warm cake.


Combine the flour, sugar, and salt:

Stir butter and cocoa together in a saucepan and add boiling water:

Add to flour mixture and stir:

Stir together eggs, buttermilk, and baking soda:

Beat ingredients together:

Pour into a greased jelly roll pan. I used a 15 x 10 inch one. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

This is what the cake looks like. It doesn't rise much:

Prepare frosting and spread over cake while it is still warm:


Mmmm.... If you like chocolate, you will love this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have I mentioned how thankful I am that you like chocolate? This looks delicious! I am going to have to wait until there is a party to make it because if I make it just for fun, I'll end up eating most of it! Thank you for the recipe! (By the way, your camera takes GREAT pictures!)

Dianne :-)

Vickie said...

Hi Dianne,
Interestingly enough, I have posted 31 chocolate desserts!

Since studies now show that chocolate has health benefits, we have an obligation to eat it. We owe it to ourselves and to our families to eat what's good for us. : )

Thank you for noticing my pictures.

Anonymous said...

Vickie,
Thank you for reminding me of the health benefits! I may have to go ahead and make this one now!

Dianne ;-)