Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Garland from Fabric Strips

This is a great way to use scrap fabric. This idea came from Homemade Simple. It makes a cute Christmas garland, but would also be nice in a nursery or a child's room.

I bought all new fabric for mine. I got 1/2 yd of 4 different fabrics. My garland ended up being about 2- 1/2 yards long.


You will need:
rope or twine, cut to the desired length of the garland (or a strand of twinkle lights)
strips of fabric (mine were about 3- 1/2" wide and 8" long)
ribbon, yarn, tulle, etc
lots of time

Cut your rope or twine to the desired length. I tied mine off at each end like a cowboy lariat.

Tear your strips of fabric and line them up assembly line fashion.

Simply tie them onto the rope one by one. I added ribbon, yarn, and tulle for interest and texture.

I cut the ends of the fabric with pinking shears once it was finished, but you don't have to.

I made it to drape onto the end of my guest bed.

The lariat loops on the ends were perfect for attaching it.

It adds a nice, cheerful, homespun touch. (Double-click the photo to see it more closely if you would like)

This project is somewhat time consuming, but is a perfect craft to work on while you are watching TV. It took me about 4 nights to complete it.

No comments: