Monday, December 10, 2012

Low Fat and Delicious Sausage Gumbo

This is another amazing recipe I found in my library book, Eating Well for a Healthy Heart. This was actually a monumental recipe for me because it is the first time I have ever used turkey sausage. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I plan to replace the beef sausage in all my recipes with turkey sausage. It is 100 fewer calories per serving. The recipe also called for Cajun seasoning and I tried a new brand by Luzianne. I really liked it as well and highly recommend it. Very tasty.

Sausage Gumbo

1 pkg turkey sausage, sliced
2 tsp canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
2 tbsp flour
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
4 cups chicken broth
2 -1/2 cups frozen chopped okra
3/4 cup instant brown rice

1. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage with onion and garlic until sausage is browned and onion is tender. Add cajun seasoning and cook for about 1 minute more.
2. Add flour and cook, stirring to coat the onion and sausage, until the flour starts to brown, about 1 minute.
3. Add tomato, chicken broth, okra, and rice, thyme, and bay leaf. Simmer for 10-20 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings
168 calories 6 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono)
25 mg cholesterol, 11 g protein, 3 g fiber, 631 mg sodium
High in Vitamin C and Vitamin A

Sauté sausage with onion and garlic in canola oil:

Add remaining ingredients and simmer:

This is a fabulous recipe, especially considering that it is only 168 calories.

No comments: