Monday, November 17, 2008

Easy Breadstick Twists

I found this idea in a Pillsbury book. The recipe called for biscuit dough, which I tried first. They were good, but I prefer yeast bread. So, the second time I tried it, I used frozen roll dough. You could also make the dough in a bread machine.

I am including pictures from both because they make very different-looking bread sticks.
When you use the biscuit dough, roll a biscuit into a long rope. Then wrap it around a greased metal skewer. Place on a greased cookie sheet:

I made smaller ones with the frozen roll dough. Brush with a beaten egg:

Sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds. (If you are using the roll dough, allow to rise for a few minutes before baking).
Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes, or until light golden brown.
Once they are baked, the skewers come out easily and they will retain their twisty shape.

The bread sticks made from biscuit dough look like this:

The ones made from the frozen roll dough look like this:

Either way, they are fun and easy to do, and they can make an ordinary meal just a little bit more interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those look great and would be perfect for Thanksgiving!