Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Orange Cauliflower


The cauliflower is considered a part of the family of cruciferous vegetables, which are plants with four-petaled flowers. The word "cruciferous" derives its name from the cross formed by the plant's flower prior to producing the vegetable. Other members include cabbage, broccoli, collard greens, and Brussels sprouts. These vegetables are high in anti-oxidants and contain substances that may protect against cancer.


The orange cauliflower, which may also be referred to as golden or yellow cauliflower, is grown for its bright color and abundance of vitamin A. It was developed by Cornell University breeder Michael Dickson. The main advantage to the orange cauliflower is that it contains 320 micrograms of beta-carotene per 100 grams, or 25 times the vitamin A in white cauliflower. Another plus is that it can be cooked without losing its color, adding to its decorative look when served.


I had seen the orange cauliflower in the grocery stores, and had been very curious about it, so I decided to try it and see if I could taste a difference. I chopped it into flowerettes and steamed it for just a few minutes. It did retain its color, and it was very good, but tasted just like white cauliflower. I will definitely buy it again, though, mostly because of how much more nutritious it is.


The smoked gouda cheese I melted on top of it might have had something to do with why it tasted so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will have to keep my eyes open for that one. Would be fun to play with at Halloween or Thanksgiving.