Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shrimp Cocktail Salad with Horseradish Dressing

This is my adaptation of a recipe I found in Good Housekeeping, the August 2010 issue. My main alterations were in the dressing ingredients, and I actually don't have exact amounts I ended up using. I toyed with it a lot. It turned out to be so delicious and unusual that I still wanted to post it, even without precise amounts.

Shrimp Cocktail Salad

lettuce (I used shredded iceberg, but use your favorite)
4 ripe tomatoes, sliced
2 lb cooked, peeled shrimp (I boil my shrimp like this)
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced

Line each plate with lettuce. Top with sliced tomato, shrimp, and celery. Drizzle with dressing.

Dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp horseradish

I added the following ingredients to the dressing and they are approximate. Adjust to your personal taste:
1/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp Caribbean Jerk seasoning
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp Worchestershire
salt and pepper
a few drops of hot pepper sauce

Whisk ingredients together.


The result was a fresh, colorful, light salad, and the dressing has a zingy, tasty kick.

No comments: