Monday, October 27, 2008

Corn Husk Candle Holders

I wanted to make something different for candle holders this fall, so I decided to experiment with corn husks. I got these at Walmart. One package contains enough corn husks to make several candle holders.

My other supplies included: glass containers, votive candles, raffia, and a hot glue gun. The votive candles I found are in their own individual glass holders, which I really like. I found them at Walmart as well.

The corn husks were dry and brittle, so I soaked them in water for a few minutes to make them more pliable. You can soak them in a container like this, or just use your sink.

After they have soaked for a few minutes, lay them out on layers of paper toweling:

Cover with more paper toweling and blot as much water out as you can:

Lay them out to dry. This takes several hours. I found out the hard way that they become dry and brittle again after about a week, even if you have soaked them. So I recommend using them within a couple of days of their soaking.

Protect your surface with wax paper or parchment. Apply hot glue to the pointed end of a corn husk and lay the glass container on top until it adheres.

Repeat this process and work your way around the container:

It will look like this:

If you want it to be thicker, you can add more:

Gently pull all the corn husks up and secure with wire or a pipe cleaner.

Then tie with raffia. After that, you can remove your wire. I added another piece of raffia and looped and tied it under the bow:

Then I snipped all the ends to give it a scraggly look:

This is the finished result. I used more corn husks on the left one. Just go with whatever look you like the best.

I tucked a couple of silk autumn leaves behind the raffia:

I placed two with the pumpkins on my mantel:


And one to greet our guests on my kitchen window ledge on the back porch:


This project was so much fun. I am hoping they will last from year to year. If not, I will just make more next year!

5 comments:

AuBien said...

Vickie,
You are so clever and creative! I love your ideas. Thank you for sharing.
Shae

Anonymous said...

What a cute and creative idea! They look great!

Anonymous said...

Your fall decor is beautiful! The candle holders are great. Last year, the girls and I made corn husk dolls. Now we have a new fall project, thanks to you. I appreciate your great ideas!

Dianne ;-}

softearthart said...

Oh so cool, cheers from New Zealand, Marie

Vickie said...

Thank you, Marie! So glad you stopped by.